Our legal basis for processing your personal information
When we use your personal information we are required to have a legal basis for doing so. There are various different legal bases on which we may rely, depending on what personal information we process and why.
The legal bases we may rely on include:
- consent: where you have given us clear consent for us to process your personal information for a specific purpose;
- contract: where our use of your personal information is necessary for a contract we have with you, or because you have asked us to take specific steps before entering into a contract;
- legal obligation: where our use of your personal information is necessary for us to comply with the law (not including contractual obligations); and
- legitimate interests: where our use of your personal information is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of a third party (unless there is a good reason to protect your personal information which overrides our legitimate interests).
You are able to withdraw your consent at any time without affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent before the withdrawal.
Personal Information we collect
Additionally, when you make a purchase or attempt to make a purchase through the Site, we collect certain information from you, including your name, billing address, delivery address, payment information (for example credit card number, PayPal and other payment account details) email address and phone number. We also collect information about recipients of gifts from you in order that we can fulfil the gift purchase and this information is only used for the purpose of fulfilling your gift order. We refer to this information as “Order Information”.
How we use your Personal Information
We use the Order Information that we collect generally to fulfil any orders for products and services placed through the Site (including processing your payment information, arranging for delivery, and providing you with invoices and/or order confirmations). Additionally, we use this Order Information to:
- Communicate with you - Supply you with product and service suggestions
- Screen our orders for potential risk or fraud
- When in line with the preferences you have shared with us (including on purchasing our goods and services, entering competitions or giveaways, joining the database, communicating with us), provide you with information (for example, via email newsletters covering such topics as products, services, the online shop, blog posts and other updates), invite you to participate in market research or send you advertising relating to our products or services. If you no longer wish to receive communications or emails from us and selected third-parties, you can either opt out by clicking on the ‘unsubscribe’ link in emails we send you or you can ask to be removed from the mailing list using the contact details below. Your request to opt out will be actioned as quickly as possible but please note that due to email production schedules you may still receive those emails already in production. If you have not opted in to receive communications, you will not receive any. Please note that you may not opt out of receiving communications that we consider essential to managing your account, including communications re your order status, refund status or account/order admin.
We use the Device Information that we collect to help us screen for potential risk and fraud (in particular, your IP address), and more generally to improve and optimize our Site in order to enhance your experience (for example, generating analytics to tell us how our customers browse and interact with the Site and assessing the success of our marketing and advertising campaigns).
Sharing your Personal Information
We share your Personal Information with third-parties to help manage the Site, to help fulfil your order, including making payment, or to help us use your Personal Information, as described above. For example, we use Shopify to power our online store--you can read more about how Shopify uses your Personal Information here: https://www.shopify.com/legal/privacy. We also use Google Analytics to help us understand how our customers use the Site -- you can read more about how Google uses your Personal Information here: https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/. You can also opt-out of Google Analytics here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
We may also share or be required to share your Personal Information to comply with applicable laws and regulations, to respond to a summons or writ, search warrant or other lawful request for information we receive or to otherwise protect our rights.
In the event that F For Freddie Limited trading as Otway & Orford is entirely or substantially acquired by a third-party, then Personal Information may be one of the transferred assets.
As mentioned above, we use your Personal Information to provide you with targeted advertisements or marketing communications that we believe may be of interest to you. For more information about how targeted advertising works, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s (“NAI”) educational page at http://www.networkadvertising.org/understanding-online-advertising/how-does-it-work.
You can opt out of targeted advertising by using the links below:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=ads
- Google: https://www.google.com/settings/ads/anonymous
Additionally, you can opt out of some of these services by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out portal at: http://optout.aboutads.info/.
Do Not Track Signal
Please note that we do not alter our Site’s data collection and use practices when we see a Do Not Track signal from your browser.
If you are a European resident, you have the right to access any Personal Information we hold about you and to ask that your Personal Information be corrected, updated, or deleted. If you would like to exercise this right, please contact us through the contact information below. Depending upon the request, a fee may be payable to recover our costs in providing you with the information. We will let you know the fee, if applicable, following receipt of your request and you should then let us know whether you wish to proceed with the request and its related fee. In the case of no fee being payable or once any fee has been accepted and paid by you, we shall make the information requested available and make any changes required as quickly as possible. As an important protection of your information, please note that if we receive any request of this nature related to your information we shall take reasonable steps to verify your identity before giving access and taking any actions requested.
Additionally, if you are a European resident please note that we are processing your information in order to fulfil contracts we might have with you (for example, if you make an order through the Site) or otherwise to pursue our legitimate business interests listed above. Additionally, please note that your information may be transferred outside of Europe, including to Canada and the United States.
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) provides you with rights regarding how your data or personal information is treated. For more details you can click on 'California Consumer Privacy Act Opt Out'.
Transfer of your information out of the UK and EEA
Such countries do not have the same data protection laws as the UK and EEA. While the European Commission has given a formal decision that Canada provides an adequate level of data protection similar to those which apply in the UK and EEA it has not done so in respect of the United States.
We would like to send you information about our products and happenings at Otway & Orford, including new services, new blog posts, events, competitions and special offers, which may be of interest to you. Where we have your consent or it is in our legitimate interests to do so, we may do this by post, email, telephone, text message (SMS) or automated call.
We will ask whether you would like us to send you marketing messages when you tick the box as part of completing our online order form. You can also give us your consent to send you marketing messages by adding your email address into the pop up box or into the box at the foot of most pages on this Site.
If you have previously agreed to being contacted in this way, you can unsubscribe at any time by:
- contacting us using the details at the end of this policy; or
- using the “unsubscribe” link in emails or “STOP” number in texts
Keeping your Personal Information secure
We have appropriate security measures in place to prevent Personal Information from being accidentally lost, or used or accessed in an unauthorised way. We limit access to your personal information to those who have a genuine business need to know it. Those processing your information will do so only in an authorised manner and are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We also have procedures in place to deal with any suspected data security breach. We will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected data security breach where we are legally required to do so.
When you place an order through the Site, we will retain your Order Information for as long as is required for fulfilling that order and afterwards for our records to enable us to meet any legal, accounting, taxation or reporting requirements. We will retain the Order Information for required record keeping unless and until you ask us to delete this information. Please note that we do not store credit card details.
The Site is not intended for individuals under the age of 18.
How to complain
We hope that our Data Protection Officer can resolve any query or concern you raise about our use of your information.
The General Data Protection Regulation also gives you the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, in particular in a European Economic Area state or in the United Kingdom if you work, normally live or if any alleged infringement of data protection laws occurred in the relevant state. The supervisory authority in the UK is the Information Commissioner who may be contacted at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/ or telephone: 0303 123 1113.
Changes to this policy
This policy was originally published on 12th November, 2020 and last updated on 10th March, 2022.
We may change this policy from time to time, when we do we will inform you by email.